19 May 2009

Sasa Kwa Kenya! (Hello from Kenya)

Friends and Family, just to let you know the last blog WAS courtesy of wikipedia, i can't spend much time on the internet and its REALLY SLOW...i am alive, and i am sorry i can't write everyday but that is life here...i have to take an hour Matatu ride in order to get here and i just can't make it everyday...sorry!
Anyway other that the lack of communication with the ones i love, everything here is AMAZING! i am learning so much everyday and I can't help but falling in love with this place and the people i know i have posted a couple things, but can you believe that was only the first day here!?! and it's been a week! I am going to write as much as i can about the last week and hope you can sort through it all, sorry about the mess...

So the day after my grand Safari I was briefly shown the Orphanage i would be working at and i was taken to be shown Nairobi. Nairobi is the Capital of Kenya and the biggest City. We were shown many Gov't buildings including the Parliment and the courts. however, we couldn't take any pictures because apparently you can get arrested if you take pictures of the gov't buildings. So, i could only take pictures of the Conference center and the statue of the First Kenyan president Jomo Kenyatta

To those of you who thought i was going to be staying in a hut in the middle of the Savanna, i am sorry to disappoint. I am actually staying in what Kenyans would call a Mansion, although it is no bigger than an average house in the U.S. it has a porcelain toilet (although it only works half the time) Two burners (that plug in), and a T.V. (that has about five channels)...I am doing laundry by hand and hanging it up to dry, eating mostly rice, beans, and maize with vegetables, i think it's pretty good, but other volunteers don't really like it, like i said internet is rare, and white people are even more so...I wouldn't have it any other way! it gets a bit lonely because I can't really talk to many people. If i could change one thing it would be that i would have brought someone with me. Next time i guess :)

5 comments:

Hernan+ said...

I told you to take me with you!!

PappaSistas said...

So I couldn't go to Kenya - but we ARE going to India together! Thanks for the updates! I am sooooooooooooo proud of you and can't wait to hear all your stories when you return to us! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

D

Unknown said...

I'LL GO WITH YOU NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I LOVE YOU MY CASEY! you're the best! ....are those pictures of the conference center and prez. whatshisbucket? *rolls eyes* silly silly girl. I LOVE YOU!

Diana said...

Yes Hernan...you should have gone!!! Oh wait...then I would have different worries. Casey! you should have taken me!!! I love you.

Junque Male said...

Casey! Am I seeing that correctly??? Did "She Who Posted as Diana" REALLY SAY YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HER??? My oh my!!! :-) I'm glad you're having such a full experience. Drink Deeply!!! We love you!!!