13 May 2009

Picked Up

Hello friends and family, yes, i am in Kenya, and I am alive...for now :) There is so much that I have done/I am going to do, that i could fill numerous blog posts, unfortunately i don't have the time right now...so instead i am going to tell you a quick story about right when i arrived.

Upon leaving you last i was about to get on the plane to finish my journey and arrive in Nairobi. On the plane i was able to sleep quite a bit, about six hours so i was fresh to begin my adventures here. When the plane landed I was led to the visa entry place and got to pay only half what i was expecting so that was good :)
As i picked up my baggage and walked outside i found about fifty people holding signs waiting to pick up others arriving in Kenya, after walking up and down the row of people frantically searching for my name a man started asking who I was looking for and if he could help...needless to say i was a big scared seeing as i was just arriving here a million miles away from home and there was not a familiar face to see...everyone i was talking to was a stranger!!!

Anyway, this man was actually really helpful and called Joe, the project manager person, who then talked to me and apparantly my plane arrived not only a half hour early, but it only took about a half hour to get through customs, which it usually takes about an hour, so he would be a few minutes...by this time i was calmed down and led to the cafeteria area, by the man with no name who helped me. (yes, the thought that i was going to disappear and not be found did run though my head, but it's not like i couldn't trust anybody...don't worry, i was wary and careful)...yes, i was!
So, after about five minutes of waiting i was found by Joe and Eunice, my things were collected and i was shown to the car (i accidentlly started to go the the drivers side because, of course, the sides are oppisite america). After driving a few minutes i was informed that i was going to take my 1 day safari that day. I wasn't able to go home or freshen up, which was okay, other than feeling a terrible mess and not having looked in a mirror for two days, but maybe that was for the best :) I was promptly taken to the Matatu (public transportation) Eunice got me a ticket and led me to the bus and then commenced the two hour journey to Lake Nakuru where i met up with Peter (tour guide), Victor (driver), Allison (volunteer from NY), and Gloria (volunteer from CA) but that is another story, i will tell you however that Jason (volunteer from Vancouver BC) deemed me the bravest person, not only because i came to Kenya alone, but i rode the Matatu alone...he got pickpocketed the day before as he was getting off...but again that is another story.

Next time i get on, i promise pictures and the safari story, I love most of you, and don't worry, i'll be safe!

5 comments:

PappaSistas said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!! for letting us know you made it safely. I also think that you are extra brave and wonderful and I am glad you survived not only the journey, but the safari as well. I will (try to) patiently await photos and more news from my lovely, talented and brave baby sis. HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!!

D

ps- thanks for being safe and cautious as well

PappaSistas said...

Oh, hey! Do you have an address? So I thought about calling you today, and when I realized I couldn't I almost cried! I MISS YOU! Have fun! Don't die on your safari! Well, I guess you have already been on your safari! So just don't die!

Diana said...

I am sooooo glad you are there and good. I love you tons and have put mama bear away for a bit. She reared her gnarly head when they made my all too brave girl go on a safari after a 25 hour flight...not good planning. Better young you than old me. I would be comatose for at least a week. Love you tons. Mama

Hernan+ said...

Yay for pappas!!! Bring me a lion's hair for me!!

scammed said...

I am in absolute awe of your adventurous spirit and moreso because you act on it.

What an adventure AND ALL BY YOURSELF. It was one thing traveling with Jaeda and Danita, this is just too, too incredible.

I'm so glad you are safe and sound and doing something you want to do.

You are so loved,

Grandma