19 May 2009

The Orphanage


The Riruta Shade Acadamy is located in Kangware outside of Nairobi. To get there i have to take the 135 Matatu for about 30 minutes. Upon reaching Kangware i walk for about 10-15 minutes before reaching the orphanage. At the Orphanage i help in the Classroom for the younger children Ages 3-6. Well, if you could call it helping, i usually sit there while either Vidah or Evelyn teaches, then i might play with the children during playtime and at lunch i eat with the children and then i sit and talk to the women while the children sleep...i feel so bad because i want to do more, but it's like they don't want to give me responsibilities and i don't know how to make them make me do things. I think that as i am there everyday they will have me do more things, yesterday i taught the children a song (popcorn popping) and tommorow i am going to teach them a game...if you have any ideas of what i can do with them please let me know!

The children are so wonderful though, there are twelve in all there is Frederick, Brian, Peter, Odiambo, Amos, Alvin, Jimmy, Omondi, Patience, Virginia, Alex, Robin, Mary, Justin, Michelle, and Renate. the youngest and the oldest are my favorite (the first four and the last four) but they are all so amazing and full of life! I am getting to know them better every day.

This place truly is a place devoted to Christ, the motto is: "Backward: Never, Forward: Yes! to Meet Christ" they pray before classes and each meal. You can definatly feel the spirit, it feels like a safe place for the Children.


Pictures: The Orphanage, Some of the Children with the Color Blast Gum, Justin, the four Oldest Playing with Tops :)

3 comments:

PappaSistas said...

I LOVE YOU! Your pictures are awesome! as far as games go, I can't think of any! Telephone? Tic-Tac-Toe? D would probably know more, like what games Parker likes. I LOVE YOU!!

PappaSistas said...

DUCK DUCK GOOSE!!!!!

Hot and Cold (hide something, one kid looks while all the others say hot or cold)

Freeze tag (freeze until someone unfreezes you)

cartoon tag (yell a cartoon to avoid being tagged it -- variation FOOD! yum!)

amoeba tag (link arms when you're caught and all become a huge line of the "it" person)

that's all my early morning brain can think of, I'll talk to my preschool teacher friend and get some more ideas!

LOVE the gum picture and those BEAUTIFUL FACES! Just being there and loving them is more help than you can imagine.

LOVE YOU!
D

ps- if one of them happens to fall into your suitcase and come home with you, I'll totally help babysit!

scammed said...

Honey,

I would suggest Red Rover and London Bridge. Do you know those games?

Love you,

Grandma