16 May 2009

SAFARI !!!

After my ride on the Matatu I was able to go on a 1 day Safari to Lake Nakuru, it is about a two hour ride away from Nairobi. Upon arriving i was greeted by the safari guide, Simon, and I met two other volunteers, Gloria and Allison.

Nakuru means "Dust or Dusty Place" in Maasai language. Lake Nakuru National Park, close to Nakuru town, was established in 1961. It started off small, only encompassing the famous lake and the surrounding mountainous vicinity. Now it has been extended to include a large part of the savannahs.The lake is world famous as the location of the greatest bird spectacle on earth - myriads of fuschia pink flamingoes whose numbers are legion, often more than a million maybe two.
They feed on the abundant algae, which thrives in the warm waters.The park now has more than 25 rhinos, one of the largest concentrations in the country, so the chances of spotting these survivors are good. There are also a number of Rothschild's giraffe

While there I saw only two of the 'African Big Five' (Elephant, Lion, Cheetah, Rhino,Buffalo) I only saw the Rhino and the Buffalo, but I am going on another Safari tommorrow and then hopefully another one in a couple weeks to Massai Mara...I guess we'll see!!! Also While i was at Lake Nakuru I saw Zebra's a plenty, Pumba, and Giraffe's!!! (which i have recently decided is my favorite Animal)

After Lake Nakuru, we went to Lake Naivasha, which has Hippos, i'm sorry to everyone who told me not to, i didn't heed your advice and I did go into the Lake (but don't worry, i was in a boat :) The Hippos were Hideous, but quite captivating...Their Mouths are HUGE!!!

8 comments:

PappaSistas said...

YIPEE! Safari sounds fun, and I LOVE the pictures of the flamingos. There are so many! I kind of suspect that the post was mostly from the guidebook, and if not - maybe we should go into the guidebook business together. And you look so cute, even after a bazillion hours of travel. NOT FAIR! Thanks for your post, and keep 'em coming. How is the orphanage? are the kids just sooooooo adorable? How is my sister enjoying the adventure? Maybe it should be capitalized. your ADVENTURE! yes, much better. LOVE AND HUGS <3 D

Diana said...

Okay...I know that Casey did not write this. Someone has taken her and is writing a blog so we won't know. It sounds like a wonderful traveloge and I also love giraffes but Casey would never be up at 6:40 AM to blog. Come on people...bring her back!

PappaSistas said...

check your email!

Unknown said...

CASEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't die... other than that...
THIS SOUNDS SO AMAZING!
Hippos... and you thought I had a big mouth.... ha ha ha
OH my gosh! i miss you SO much, i'm pretty sure i've already left you like... 3 voicemails... which is far less than i want to leave you, but i'm being nice, figuring others will leave them as well... i miss you so much... i can't wait until we both just so happen to get online at the same time!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Hernan+ said...

First, the pictures are A-amazing... I'm greedy so I want MORE. Great posts!

Where do you go to log?

One of my wise friends told me once that pictures of a landscape are just that... a nice picture (of a landscape) but pictures of you on the pretty landscape are treasure-able.

Be in the pictures!
Don't go in the water again! you hear me?
I love your blog...

Junque Male said...

Love the pics... amazing to think you are actually there and seeing such amazing sights! Sunny said to tell you she loves your sweatshirt (she has the same one!) Way to go!!!
Love you tons! Aunt Debi and the kids

PappaSistas said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE your pictures. Like, Hernan, I am greedy for more. Unlike Hernan, no more advice from me... I know you can take care of yourself, and God is taking care of you, too! I love you! Make millions of memories and come back soon!

Sarah said...

Hi Casey am so glad you are having fun. by the way i love your little post but watchout for the lion you you are walking aahahahahahahah............