29 May 2009

on a little lighter note...



some of you may want to skip this post and go straight to D's better and more exciting information...as most people would think that it is a bit too much information, but seeing as it is a major part of my life here in Kenya I thought that it was my duty to let you be part of my experience completely...

...among learning more about the world around me and in fact myself, learning about who I am and my place in the world, i have also learned a little bit about my limits, for example...I cannot, CANNOT, bring myself to pee in a hole in the ground

There, i said it. I have been here for two weeks, and in those two weeks i have held it up to five, maybe six, hours. I have paid an unnecessary total of at least 100 shillings to be able to pee on a porcelain toilet. The last few days i know I have been silly, (seeing as I didn't even know what the toilet on the orphanage looked like). So today, i swallowed my pride and asked where the toilet was located. As i stood in front of, literally, a hole in the ground all of my fears were confirmed. I know i'm ridiculous, and pampered,i would go so far as to even say i am spoiled. I recognize that and I have never been more thankful to live in a place of porcelain toilets, even in the most grotesque bathrooms. I will never complain again.

Pictured: the blessed gift bestowed to me in Kenya, and the sum of all my fears of Kenya.

3 comments:

PappaSistas said...

I cannot say as I blame you... though I admit I am sitting in the middle of the Taylor laughing my head off at your 'toilet humor' and people are giving me strange looks. I think that they will be glad, though, that I did not share the joke :)
J <---- Happy Hernan?

PappaSistas said...

Bathroom humor?? nice, J! I was busting up too. I have told you my story from Thailand, haven't I? Not appropriate for this post...remind me to tell you when you get home. It is amazing the things you come to appreciate when you travel so far from everything you know. Like toilets, and grilled cheese sandwiches and your very own bed, along with the diversity in this wide world of ours.

LOVE YOU!
D

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
i love you. you make me so happy.
i just busted up laughing in the exotic setting of my livingroom...? no. okay. hahaha i'm pretty sure Joelica think i'm crazy. but that's okay :D I LOVE YOU!!!!!!! so... did you actually USE the hole? i would be impressed... DAH i miss you! :D i'm so excited to see your hands flailing as you repeat these stories to me 100 times when you come back ^_^ i will enjoy them every time :D I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
T (cause i kinda count as a pappas sister... without the cool last name...)