04 May 2009

About to Go...Somewhere New


Alright Everyone, here it comes, C here, starting a new epic page in this blog we call life...or rather a travel blog :) Next sunday, May 10th 2009 I am going to travel halfway across this planet we call Earth to Kenya. Just me this time...

I am going to spent three weeks working at an Orphanage in Kenya near the big city, the largest city,and capital, Nairobi. I hope to spend the weekends traveling and the weekdays serving.

How I started
Last November a roommate and I started talking about traveling and she mentioned that she wanted to travel and serve people, i agreed and spent the next three days on the internet. after I had decided to go some friends supported me (Kandice and Trish :) and other friends discouraged me (Hernan) which only pushed me harder to actually go. Now here it is, six months later and I AM GOING!!! (ha ha to Hernan :P )

I don't know how much I will actually get near the internet but my hope is to blog every few days about the AMAZING experience I am about to have. I will be staying about a half hour bus ride away from the Orphanage with my Host family, a woman named Mercy and her 8 year old daughter. :)


Some stats about Kenya

Kenya is found in Eastern Africa, bordering the Indian Ocean, between Somalia and Tanzania

Population: approx. 39,002,772

Ethnic Groups: Kikuyu 22%, Luhya 14%, Luo 13%, Kalenjin 12%, Kamba 11%, Kisii 6%, Meru 6%, other African 15%, non-African (Asian, European, and Arab) 1%

Religion: Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, Muslim 10%, indigenous beliefs 10%, other 2%

Languages: English (official), Kiswahili (official), numerous indigenous languages

Gov't Type: Republic

Independence Day (From UK): Dec. 12th 1963

President: Mwai Kibaki

2 comments:

PappaSistas said...

I am soooooo proud of you my sister and can't wait to hear all about your adventures!

Hernan+ said...

I am not in your blog list!!!!!!!