23 July 2007

J: Student Hotel in Inverness


Hello Hello Hello
Here I am in Inverness! We are having a great time. We leave Inverness this morning for Skye. I am actually sad to leave. I could probably spend a week in each place that we go just to see as much as possible. I wish that I had unlimited funds as well, because I could probably buy something from each store in this city. There is so much to see and do. Ask the people that live here, though, and they'll tell you differently. I can't wait to get back to Edinburgh. It was so interesting there.
So, stories about Scotland. We went to the Highland games day before yesterday. It was kind of anticlimactic, but it was still good. We got to hear a lot of Scottish music. The Ceilidh (bands?) are amazing. It was great to hear.

Funny story, though. We went to a vendor who was selling sweaters. So cool. One souvenir that I wanted from this trip was a sweater from one of the countries we were going to. I found one here in my size, which was exciting. But it was expensive! We tried to tell the guy that we couldn't afford it, but he just kept lowering the price, until he got down to £20. We finally gave in and bought the sweater. It was neat, but I felt so guilty for spending that much money on a sweater. I pretty much spent all day feeling guilty. I was finally convinced to actually wear the sweater when it got cold. But when I went to zip it up, I realized the zipper was broken. I was really frustrated. I felt like I couldn't bring it back because I had gotten such a good deal on it, but it did me no good if I couldn't wear it. I finally went to take it back.
The vendor told me he didn't have another sweater, could I come back the next day? I told him that I wasn't going to the games the next day, but was finally convinced to just stop in and exchange the sweater. I went back just after church yesterday. Surprise Surprise, he still didn't have another sweater. He told me he had ordered one, though, and it would be here next week. I explained the obvious, I am just a tourist, I won't be here next week. Well, said he, I could have something else. I didn't want anything else, the only reason I bought this was because it was my size and it was exactly what I wanted. Could I just get my money back? No, he had already deposited all his money in the bank, and had none for an exchange. I left with the broken sweater. I was not very happy. As I headed for the gate, the kid that worked for him chased me down and handed me £20. I gave him the bag with the sweater in it and that was that. Grr... I really liked that sweater. I have been afraid to buy a souvenir ever since.

Other than that, though, it was a happy day. After church, a lady in the ward whose name I still don't know invited us over for dinner. We had yorkshire pudding... YUM! We sat around afterwards listening to stories from the missionaries. It was great! Well, it's about time to get going to Skye... C is going to write later about our last day in London.

PS I got Harry Potter at midnight here! about 8 hours before everyone I know. I finished it about 9 am the day it came out! YAY! I am still not allowed to talk about it, though. D is still reading.

6 comments:

Diana said...

Well it is nice to know that there was some integrity even though you dont have your sweater. I like the scotland one in the picture. you look good. hmmmm unllimited funds, unlimited time in each city...aren't you glad we live for eternity cause we just can't get it all done. Missed talking to you yesterday but I liked hearing about you. I need to hug you all and hear the stories. you are writing all this down right??? I got to go to work. will check later.

Eames said...

Well if I hadn't slept and then gone to lunch with Joe I would have finished at the same time of day.

It was my fav!

duachais said...

Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that I'm also enjoying your blog. My lack of comment does not denote lack of interest...merely lack of comment. Enjoy your last week in one of the more fabulous places on the earth.

Jaeda, I have a ton of Irish sweaters, and I'm sure you would enjoy one of them. I got it in Ireland, so it would be just the same, you just won't have to carry it home. Love ya --Aunt Net

scammed said...

How wonderful to have such a generous Aunt. You all amaze me. Sounds like you are still on a high and still enjoying all of it. That is such a long time away from home, I'm glad you have each other.

Be safe, have a wonderful week and write more often. I look for a new BLOG compulsively, like about three or four times a day. I'm hooked, you all write beautifully and have so many interesting things to write about.

Isn't it wonderful to be "taken in" by members so far from home and probably feel like they are almost family.

Love you all

Junque Male said...

Oooooh! I'm sooo glad you guys got to spend some time in Inverness. Bob and I spent a couple of days in Inverness in 2000 and LOVED it. My favorite things in Inverness (besides the obvious tourist things) were: being lucky enough to catch the Highland Games; meeting with the Saints in that beautiful chapel by the river; meeting the most incredibly friendly hospitable people, and shopping for... you guessed it... SWEATERS!!!! And the LEAST favorite part (besides driving on the wrong side of the road) was.... shopping for SWEATERS!!!

My heart and soul are with all of you... especially there. The memories are so sweet! Enjoy making yours!

Love you!

Aunt D in P

scammed said...

Hi Jaeda,

Thanks for the email and I only wish we did have someone you could visit. Sadly any family we had was from centuries ago.

I hope you are taking a gazillion pictures, I will come and sit through a presentation or better yet world travelers, you can come to us (and bring pictures).

Love you all, just keep having fun and be safe.