17 July 2007

J-Hostel 63-London

okay, so here we are back in London, staying at a hostel that is slightly better than the hotel room we were in last time. Up until a second ago, this room that I am in was full of little kids all speaking French. It was so cool! I wish C had been down here, (and I do mean DOWN, we are on the top floor of a tall building. The room I am in right now is the basement) however the slug-a-bed is still... abed. Yeah, so is D. They decided that they didn't want to wake up early today but to just wake whenever they woke. Which means as usual, I was up at 730 and they are still asleep. But I do get the computer, which is nice. So I still dont have the camera, which stinks. I do, however, have something new to write about.
D'S DRIVING! SCARY!
Okay, not really. I wasn't overly concerned, as she did really well at first. But she did seem to have a problem staying in the lines. She didn't, however, drift to the other side of the road as you would expect from an American. No, she drifted to the sidewalk. Which was a little scary for me, the front seat passenger. But we only had one incident. Well, two, but the other wasn't D.
We got lost a lot, which was fun. We were lost on the way to church on Sunday, and we went down a side road to turn around. D was a lot too close to the curb, and there was a truck parked on it. 'YOU'RE A LITTLE CL---' oops... but it just hit the side mirror and knocked it in. Luckily, those things are hinged. :) No worries, no damage.
The other was kind of funny. D was having trouble parking, and asked Pat's husband Mick to park the car. He backed into the car behind us. A tiny little scratch. Nothing to worry about, we got insurance on the rental. Yay. Anyway, we got to the rental company the next morning with no other mishaps and gladly left the car behind for the next uncomfortable bus ride. Better to be on a bus with the person ahead of you practically in your lap and crushing your kneecaps than having an American driving in London, though, right?
Well, we are going on a tour today, and we may get to go see Harry Potter (IN LONDON:>) this afternoon. Spendy, though. $14-$16 for a matinee. No, ta. Well, I may head off to wake the kids up now. Enjoy the post, and if you haven't check out the other posts and pics and COMMENT! I know you have, but I would rather hear the same thing over and over than not hear anything. I miss home people! I want a freaking comment!
>:( >:( >:( >:(
calming, calming
<:) <:) <:) <:)
Later! J

8 comments:

scammed said...

So if it is comments you want, it is comments you get. I had just asked Dick if he thought you would all be able to go back and live in "calm" Seaside after all you have seen and done. He said of course, there is no place like home. I'm guessing he is right, but I know how hard it was for me to ever think of going back to a small town once I had lived in L. A.

So who was writing today's blog? I know it wasn't Danita but was it Casey or Jaeda....I need initials.

It is 116 here today and we have monsoons, which means it is like being in a small bathroom, very hot shower with lots of steam AND a heater on. I'm so glad to stay in, check for your blog, do genealogy, watch TV and nap. Our A/C is in the living room, we have a EVAP cooler in the bedroom. The rest of the house just has fans and those rooms are pretty warm. In here in the office my hands are sticking to the keyboard. Can't complain, winter is coming and when everyone else is shoveling snow or wet with drizzle we have sunshine and 70 degrees for months on end.

Hey, I love you all, just keep safe and keep having fun. If you see Prince William or Harry wave sweetly and don't giggle.

scammed said...

Oops, just saws the initial I was looking for. Thanks J for so much good information.

scammed said...

And Jaeda, thanks again for the email. That was so thoughtful of you to catch me up.

Diana said...

Beg and you shall receive... My heart kvetched at the driving story. Oooops. I hit something. Oooops you hit something. I too am better with you on the bus. We are loving the blog. Russ said he is watching along and is sooooo jealous. How fun is this. When do you go to Scotland. It feels like you have been gone forever. and no that isn't just because I am working 80 hours a week. I miss you guys but am so happy you are doing this. I love you!!!!!!!

Eames said...

My mom made it home in one piece. late but in one piece. She was so glad you guys took her along even if she found the crappiest place to stay. Hey they have spell check for crappiest! LOL!!!

What is it with D and sidewalks? J/K!!! I love you!


I LOVE hearing about your trip from each of you. It gives it more depth I think. And its WAY fun to hear what you say about each other. It gives me a laugh every once in awhile.

Oh D!!! Breezy needs to know what day you can give her all the attention. She will be coming to see me the 28th. Well I will send you an email.... So you better check it!!

Have a fun rest of your trip and I can't wait to see more pictures!!!

xanthrus said...

I AM SO JEALOUS J... I LOVE your blog posts... they are so informative and vivd, almost like I am there with you instead of SLC in the searing heat of the desert sun. Of course yesterday it was 96 and mixed with rain (that smells like the bad end of a sewer line) anyways. I love you and HAVE FUN!

Lauren Leigh Hinthorne said...

So, you made it over! Glad to hear you're having a good time. My mom is in Cannon Beach and has been hearing stories from your mom (which is how I found out about your blog).

Not sure how long you're here for or what your plans are. I'm in York until the 30th of July (I'll be in CB for all of August), so if you decide to come up north let me know. It would be fun to see you!

Happy travels!

Lauren Leigh

PS - Actually I never use my google account (forgot I had it actually), so if you do head up to York the best way to reach me is probably llh500@york.ac.uk

Junque Male said...

Kvetch?? KVETCH??? Wow, your Mom never ceases to amaze me. When you get back I'll share my "American driving in England" story. Wisdom prohibits me for sharing here! ;-)

I'm loving reading about all of your exploits.. makes me wish I was along, but then it wouldn't be the same for you all... so I'll just sit here at home, all alone, watching the rain water my weeds... sigh! j/k

D, I'm thinking of getting a DSLR instead of one of those ciggy pack cameras... we'll talk when you get home, k?

J, I LOVE your writing! It's a gift that should be nurtured and shared!!! You are AMAZING!

C, Remember those novels where the young women head to Europe upon graduation to be introduced into 'society'? Aren't you glad you don't have to do that??? How much more fun is THIS???

Love you all tons and bunches (and bunches of tons!)

AuntD in P