13 September 2009

Remembering

Charles at the Metropolitan Museum of Art told me an interesting fact. When a fire truck is retired, they take the identifying number off the old truck and put it on the new truck. We were looking at an abstract piece of art and listening to him recite the accompanying poem.



The Great Figure
Among the rain
and lights
I saw the figure 5
In gold
On a red
firetruck
moving
tense
unheeded
to gong clangs
siren howls
and wheels rumbling
through the dark city

Interestingly enough, this same number 5 was one of the first to arrive at what is now called Ground Zero. The truck was crushed, so they took that number 5 and put it on the new truck. I wish I could tell you I have seen this same 5 with my own eyes. I did, however see the number 10 on Liberty Street. This street runs along the side of the World Trade Center Site. All along my walk, there were notes and flowers and pictures tucked into the chain-link fence surrounding the now construction site, from friends and family members alike. I did see a letter from a family from Texas offering comfort and insisting that they will never forget how that day changed them.





I was asleep when it happened. I had school that day and my best friend Jen called me in tears. She was freaking out and by the time I understood what she was telling me, I was astounded. It became more surreal with every image I saw and every prayer I heard. I had the same questions as anyone else. I remember being proud of our President who was unashamed to bring our country to its knees. I remember many prayers on behalf of those whose lives were forever changed by loss and despair.

Along the back of Ladder 10, there is a bronze relief depicting the events of the fateful day of September 11th 2001. “Dedicated to those who fell and to those who carry on” and “may we never forget.” Large flower arrangements share space with paper lanterns and single rosebuds keep vigil with lit candles. I cannot put into words the rush of emotion I felt as I stood there. Perhaps you’ll feel a bit of what I did as you see what I saw.


No comments: