16 September 2009

The Freedom Trail





Boston is GENIUS! They have this red line through the entire city that goes by all the historical sites. All a girl's got to do is follow the red brick road. I didn't have to remember which road to turn on or how far down the block to go. I had a fabulous book (provided by my delightful hostess with the mostess--MAMIE!), well this book was full of historical tidbits and insights. We started at Boston Common on Sunday the 13th and made it into the North End by Paul Revere's house. Stopping at churches and graveyards along the way. We stumbled onto the Boston Arts (Ahts) Festival at Long Wharf and saw artists all over the place.





I saw the church (Old South) where the colonists were whipped into a frenzy and threw the equivalent of one million dollars of tea into the harbour. I saw the grave of the man who lit the 2 lanterns for Paul Revere to let their contacts in Charlestown know that the British were coming by sea. There is such rich history on this side of the country. to walk where George Washington did, and to see buildings that are so old (at least by our country's standards). I am loving it. And I loved that I didn't have to think too hard. I could get my nose out of a map and see the city I was walking in.






Monday the 14th I slept in and then started with a bowl of yummy chowdah at the Union Oyster House Bar. This is the oldest restaurant in America!! The building has been there since 1636 (the year Julius Caesar died) and it has been a restaurant since 1826 (Beethoven was composing!). Anyway, after lunch - I walked the rest of the trail, starting at Paul's house. More churches and graveyards. The USS Constitution (closed) and Bunker Hill (also closed - after I psyched myself up for the 300 stairs to the top - missed it by 10 minutes). It was a glorious day and the night activities were also fabulous.






Amy and I went to Veggie Planet and had dinner on a bread plate. Delish!


Then the best hot chocolate EVER! Made from shaved dark chocolate *heaven*


I found my dream bag in Harvard Square - but the store was closed, so I took a picture.

Then a walk along the river. The skyline was breathtaking!


We planned on listening to Berklee students in a music showcase, but we were pretty beat so we headed home instead. I LOVED BOSTON!!!! I walked a million miles and would walk a million more. I will definately have to come back. So I can climb to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument and so that Donnie Wahlberg can take me out for some I-talian food!! I looked everywhere for him this time, but no luck...


4 comments:

ShannonD said...

I just love reading about your adventures! Don't stop- travelling or writing about it!

Riley Family said...

D! I loved catching up on your trip! Looks like the best time ever! Say hi to Jill for me. So glad you got your camera, the pictures look great! Have a blast!!!!

buchanancasa said...

Holy moley! What a fun trip! You look amazing as usual. Boston sounds like my kind of place--a red brick path as a guide. I could get lost in a round room, I tell ya. Have a cup of cocoa for me too!

PappaSistas said...

Oh man, it looks AMAZING! i am craving more!!!! write! Write!! WRITE!!!