20 June 2008

CAMPING!!!



Hey all!

C and I are on another adventure, a bit shorter this time. After about 12 HOURS!!!! of travelling, we made it into our fabulous campsite at Moran State park on Orcas Island. Our day started sooooooooooo early... we left home at 6:30 am and afer a few errands (like stopping at Bagels by the Sea) we were on the way!

We got to drive along the Columbia River for a while and it was gorgeous! I am almost absolutley for certain that I saw a bald eagle. We really do live in one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

We did what you usually do on a road trip. I read while C drove until she couldn't stand it anymore and we talked and talked and listened to music and talked. We decided that we would cast real people in our make-believe movie based on Stephenie Meyer's book The Host. We didn't get very far. We couldn't remember people's names and had a really hard time so we finally gave up. WHERE'S J WHEN YOU NEED HER???? Oh yeah, studying her brains out since she's a COLLEGE GIRL now. We wish J were here... although I'm not sure where she'd sleep.

We never did find a tent. How, you may ask, do we go camping w/o a tent? Well, there are several choices... maybe stringing up hammocks in trees -- but since it rains so much NO. or we could make a lean-to shelter out of tree branches and bracken, or perhaps find a cave that will keep us dry. NEGATORY. Mom had a brilliant idea. "Why don't you take the van and your air mattress?" YES!!! we are sleeping on an air matress in the back of the blue mini van. Our cooler full of food sits on the passenger seat while the bags sit on the driver's seat. The bikes have found a home locked together under the tree at the edge of our site.

Anyway, after we got to the ferry terminal we had to wait 3 hrs until we got on the ferry. So we napped... We made it safe and sound to the islands in the Puget Sound (is it still the PS?)

I am so excited for our adventure!!!! The last time I went camping, it was in my friend's parents front yard. The time before that is a another story all together. Jen and I were on our way to camp in the Gorge when the car started acting up. We had to turn around and go home, but our camping spirit refused to be dampened -- We unloaded all our stuff in the backyard. Since we couldn't very well light a fire, we ran a bright orange extention cord out to our site and our toaster oven became the campfire... GOOD TIMES! As fun as it was, it wasn't really camping. So this week is much anticipated and much needed.

I'll let C tell you about our fun last night.

1 comment:

PappaSistas said...

I wish i was there too! I would sleep in the rain, or on a train. I would sleep in a cave or... yeah I got nothin'

J