02 June 2009

Masai Mara

So this last weekend I had the chance to go to Masai Mara Game Reserve...seeing as I have been on Two Safari's and have seen all the animals i really wanted to see except the Lion, i decided that i needed to go on one more.

Saturday started early as i headed to Nairobi to meet the Safari van and group. I got there early and was actually able to talk to a few friends online (at home it was 11/midnight depending where each friend was) this was really good because i hadn't talked to any of them since I have been here.

Anyway, at 9 i met the safari group and we headed 7 hours away to Masai Mara. The group consisted of Me, the American, Pernilly and Clause, from Denmark, Teejey from Nigeria, Asa, From india (who i was actually able to talk with about going to India and she is in charge of an organization that gets volunteers in India, D, maybe we should volunteer for a week or two on our GRAND INDIAN ADVENTURE *said in a really bad australian accent*) and Ignacio (sp?) from Argentina, but he has spent the last year living in England...I got major kudo points with him because i have an Argentinian friend :)

So the trip took a long time and we didn't get there until 4, but less than five minutes into our Game drive we saw Cheetahs!!! they were pretty cool. We didn't really see anything else that night (alot of gazelles and zebras, but those are everywhere!) we headed back to camp. the camp thankfully had beds and a porcline toilet, so it didn't really feel like camping, which was honestly okay with me :).

The next morning I was put with a different Safari group because i was only on a two day safari, so I was put with a group on their last day, it consisted of three women from...Poland? they didn't really talk to me at all because they, well, i don't know why, they mostly talked to eachother in polish...anyway, and there was Joe, from England. As we started the morning game drive we didnt really see anything but a few birds and gazelles...but then across the savanna the driver (joseph) saw a Lion. I was seriously scared for how fast he was driving across the bumpy plains, but it was worth it, cause the Lion seriously walked RIGHT BY THE VAN!!! i could almost reach out and touch it! it was Brilliant! and Beautiful! and Graceful! my friends, there is a reason this animal is King! the way he walked was just Magnificent, and graceful. He was so confident...seriously i have never seen a beast like that! also on this game drive we saw some more cheetahs and even a lepord. I had finally seen all of the big 5! After the Game drive we headed home, it was supposed to go smoothly from there, however, fate had different plans

On the way home joseph decided he wanted to show us the rhino sanctuary so he took off road and drove way too fast across some more plains. We hit water and a few minutes later we were stuck in the mud. after trying and faling at a few things we all got out and pushed the van until it wasn't stuck. we were off again...for a few minutes. We got stuck two more times and then on the third time we really got stuck...we all got out of the van again and tried to push it out, it didn't work. FOUR HOURS LATER joseph had gone to get a tractor but the drivers were unavailable, we had dug a hole around the wheel and tried to put wood underneath, it didn't work. Finally about 20 massai people had come to help and with ten people in front, ten in back, and a few at each of the sides, we pushed it out...we didn't get back to Nairobi until 9ish and my phone had died so i couldn't get ahold of my host family to tell them everything was okay.

When i finally got home Alan was so worried had had called my phone five times and they had no idea where i was. Ah, the adventures i am having!!!! :D

*again about the pics, i do have them but you need to understand the computers here...not exactly the best running or fastest... should have them on sometime thursday or friday...and another note, there will be A LOT of posts coming on Friday as I will be at the airport most of the day :'( my trip is coming to a close...sad

4 comments:

Hernan+ said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHH Cool that you run into an Argentine! in Africa! We are everywhere...

The signing up for the Indian adventure begins now... go!

Diana said...

Argentines are everywhere. I loved talking to you last night. Thank you for the lovely birthday greeting. Now come home before any other third world trips are planned.

PappaSistas said...

Of course, Hernan gets so excited over you seeing his fellow countryman and NOT over you seeing a FREAKING LION! How cool was that?!?!?! I wish I could have seen it! You may be sad that your trip is ending, and while I am sad for you, I am happy to get back to the land where I can FREAKING CALL MY YOUNGER SISTER! I LOVE YOU!
-J

PappaSistas said...

NYC -- check
LIBERTY BELL -- check
BRITISH MUSEUM -- check
HARRY POTTER TRAIN -- check
FRENCH FRIES IN FRANCE -- check
THE AFRICAN BIG 5 -- check, check, check, check, check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love reading about your AFRICAN GRAND ADVENTURE (read with a really really bad Australian accent) and I am SO DOWN with volunteering in India!! I keep picturing you trying to get that blasted truck unstuck... one of those stories that isn't really that fun when it happens, but so great when you look back on it. Who really wants a trip to go smoothly all the time?

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH and I am soooooooooooooo excited to see you in A COUPLA DAYS!!!!!

D